.

Saturday, July 10, 2010

Grace & Jake’s Room

Over the past couple of weeks, we’ve slowly been working on updating the twins room.  Here is a current photo:

IMG_3495

We decided to bunk the beds just to get more floor space.  I had bought the bed off craigslist about a year ago and then painted it black.  Unfortunately, it didn’t come with the side rails or ladder.  At the time it didn’t matter because we hadn’t planned to bunk them right away.  Now that the twins are a little older, we decided to give it a try.  We made the rails and ladder, painted them, and attached them last weekend.  We also repainted the room.  It was Behr’s Corn Husk Green, and I never liked in this room.  I decided to go with a neutral and use accessories for color.  Eventually Clare and Grace will share this room and Jake will get Clare’s room.  We used Sherwin Williams Ramie color-matched into Behr paint.  I love the color.  I almost wish we had gone a shade darker, but I think this will keep the room from looking too small when we sell our house next year or the year after.  I found the rug at Target for less than $20, and it is perfect for a kids room.  It can even be machine washed in a commercial machine.

Yesterday, the kids and I went to Home Depot and got the parts to make Rain Gutter shelves.  We made four and attached them this afternoon.  The kids were so excited, and had a great time filling the shelves with their favorite books.  I still need to get window treatments.  I think I’ll use a bamboo shade and some white sheers.  I also need to paint the dresser at some point.  I’m hoping to find some sort of floor seating.  I don’t really want bean bags, although we may end up going that direction.  I really like the Flip Lounger from Pottery Barn Teen, but there is no way I would spend that much.  It’s not even washable! 

And then of course, there is the whole lamp situation.  I would really like the twins to have one in their room, but our track record with lamps is not so good.  Grace won’t use it correctly.  She has burned herself in the past, and I’m really afraid she would manage to cause a fire.  Not sure what we’ll do about that.  I’ll update again when we get everything finished.

1 comment:

  1. That looks great. I love the books all over the place. What a great vision you have for that room.

    ReplyDelete