.

Wednesday, January 25, 2006

Randomness

Photoshop fun: Jake on the playmat

Well I don't have much to talk about today, so I'll just ramble for a bit. The babies are asleep right now (I hope you realize I'm jinxing myself by writing this). They actually went to bed semi-easily at their usual 7:45 bedtime. Usually by now one or both has awoken, but not tonight (again jinxing myself)! Grace has slept 8 hours straight two nights in a row now. Woohoo! Now if only Jake would join the party (or rather the lack thereof). On that note, I must say that naps are becoming more and more of a struggle. Their morning nap usually goes pretty smoothly. Jake often wakes up after about 45 minutes, but I can usually get him to go back to sleep for at least another 45 minutes. That's where any kind of consistency ends. IF I can even get them to nap in the afternoon, I'm extremely lucky if it even lasts 45 minutes, but it usually lasts around 25-40 minutes (and forget getting them to go back to sleep if they wake up). I have tried EVERYTHING. I've tried shortening the time between naps. I've tried lengthening the time between naps. I've tried just letting them take a bunch of short naps (HA! This worked well in theory, except they only took two twenty-minute naps). I've tried swaddling and swinging and cuddling and rocking and feeding, etc. They just will not take a decent afternoon nap. I WILL NOT GIVE UP! I will keep trying. I figure they will have to get it eventually, right? (OK, maybe not right, but don't tell me if that's the case, hope is what gets me through the day.)

I do not complain about this to people in general because most people offer the "cry-it-out" solution. I'm sorry, but I will not abandon my babies to cry themselves to sleep. They do not understand the psychology behind this method. In their minds I have abandoned them. Research has also shown this method to be linked to failure to thrive. If I happen to complain to you about our sleep issues please do not suggest that I just let them cry. Also, please do not tell me I hold our babies too much or that they are too used to being held. How can holding your baby ever be a bad thing? I love my babies, and I want them to know it.

One more thing...please do not ask me if the twins are identical or fraternal. Think about it. How can a girl and a boy be identical? It's just not possible. You would not believe how often people ask me this. I try so hard to be nice when I reply, but one of these days I'm just going to say, "Well, no, they aren't identical. He has a penis and she doesn't."

Sorry, that kind of turned into a rant. I guess I'm in a mood tonight, but I feel better now.

2 comments:

  1. You have twins, you're entitled to a rant now and again. Your babies are beeeeautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. yes, people say such funny things! when i was with my baby twins (girls) people used to ask me if it was a boy and girl, and once someone asked me "and this one is a boy?" when my daughter was dressed in a PINK DRESS with a little knot in her hair, and i told him "i think i would really be a psychopath if i dressed a boy like this"

    ReplyDelete